[GRASS5] GRASS release policy needed

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Jul 22 02:55:47 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:22:35PM -0700, Michael Barton wrote:
> I'm not real savvy on this. But, judging from a few other open source
> programs, it seems that perhaps a more efficient way to do this is:
>
> Announce a new release (you did that, of course).
>
> Specify a limited bug fix PERIOD (1 month?)

Did that as well.

> Fix all the remaining bugs possible in that period AND try to get the bug
> tracker up to date for that period.

More or less impossible (see my other mail from a few minutes ago).

> Freeze the code (Inkscape has a brief chill period prior to hard freeze
> where people can finish bug fixes but not start new ones, or something along
> that line).
>
> Release.
>
> In other words, do it by time period rather than by getting a set of bugs
> fixed. At the moment, it seems we are doing some of both and enforcing
> either is difficult.

I tried by time period [1], some other developers/power users insisted on
getting a set of bugs fixed. Finally the intended release stalled and
time out error (for me).

Markus

[1] http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2005-June/018798.html

--