[GRASS5] Dealing with old bug reports: new GRASS 6 bugtracker?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Jul 27 10:35:30 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:00:22PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:25:38PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 06:37:20AM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > > On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 12:27:06PM -0400, Helena Mitasova wrote:

> > If a user is still on GRASS5 (and usually there is a reason for this)
> > then this bug still affects GRASS6 in some way.
>
> Not necessarily. If things are rewritten, the bug report does often
> no longer apply (see my "this works in 6.x" or "please try in 6.x"
> comments in some of the RT reports).

It means that a user has a problem that is not solved
with the existance of GRASS6. That is all I am saying.
The bug entry would be a good place to record the solutions,
onces there is one.

> For me it's frustrating since the list is endless and I see a lot
> of stuff which will apparently never be closed since it was resolved
> in a later version.

We probably need a "non-fix" state in the future to help this.

> > Technically, if you set up a filter for grass6 bugs, then you are
> > not seeing the others.
>
> How to do this? Doesn't this require an "Area" filter which is
> not there? Wish: I would like to see "grass6" only.

You are right an area filter would be an improvement.
For whatever reason I thought we had one.
(I'll ask our system administration if we can easily add one.)

> Because a bugtracker should look sort of "inviting" to people to
> help. If I see 450 bugs in a long page, I get tired immediately and
> go elsewhere :-)

I tend to disagree that the long list is a major factor,
the feel of the development community is.
Usually you start fixing one or a few bugs that affects you
not looking at the others. And KDE and Debian prove the impact
wrong, they have a huge number of bugs in the tracker and attract
a lot of people.

> > > @Bernhard: what do you think, is there a possibility to
> > > split RT?
> >
> > It is work, but of course it is possible.
> > I would not really recommend it and I still want to propose a new
> > infrastructure for GRASS based on gforge at some day (no schedule yet,
> > but we have a lot of it running already).
>
> Do you mean this one: http://gforge.org/ ?

Yes, the software that can be fetched from this side.
Running here of course.

> > This would allow for a better integration of several trackers.
> > Another option would be to move to roundup.
>
>  http://roundup.sourceforge.net/

Yes.

> I feel that in the past most of the bugs were solved via mailing list...

That is not bad, it happens a lot with other projects, too.

	Bernhard
ps.: I probably will not be able to answer for a couple of days.