[GRASS5] [bug #3011] (grass) d.mon CELL doesn't work

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Jul 28 04:32:08 EDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 09:46:01PM +0200, Maciek Sieczka wrote:
> From: "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
> >Maciek Sieczka wrote:
> >Exactly the same issue applies to the CELL driver. The resulting map
> >has an X/Y projection and uses screen coordinates. Also, unless the
> >aspect ratio of the monitor exactly matches that of the region, the
> >combination of d.rast and the CELL driver will result in a raster
> >which has been scaled down and centred.
>
> Thanks for explaining that. Like I said I never used the CELL driver as it
> was never present in 5.7-6.1. I hoped it would store the image neatly
> georeferenced.

Hi Maciek,

you could write a simple script [1]:

- if no frames are visible in the monitor, generate also a
  PNG world file.
- export with PNG driver
- reimport with r.in.gdal (which recognizes the PNG world file)

Not very fancy, but definitly better than the old CELL driver.

Markus

[1] Learning a bit of script programming takes a few hours
    since you can start from existing scripts