[GRASS5] Re: Automatic gettextizations ; tables and g.html2man

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 6 04:10:07 EST 2005

> > I ran the automatic converter on beta2 sources, and I got some 1700
> > undefined entries in grassmods. Scary. I haven't run through it, but
> > it is possible that several messages are slight variations of each
> > other and should be merged accordingly. That should go along the
> > *huge* work of going module by module checking proper usage of
> > output.
>
> In fact, we have to somewhat cleanup the messages to avoid that
> it becomes an endless story. This is time consuming, but consider
> the time needed to replicate translations for n languages...

There is probably 500 different versions of "Failed to load map <$MAP>"
which could all be the same..

To complicate matters, for easier debugging I have sometimes made
several identical error messages within a module slightly different.
That way when it fails one can quickly search to where in the code it
failed without all dumping all sorts of debug info out all the time.
e.g. <map> vs [map] or 'single' vs "double" quotes in error.
(I think I did this in r.*.mat for example)

(e.g. r.in.mat, "Please contact the GRASS development team")

I suppose the translation effort is more important than subtle
debugging tricks. Mentioned so you are aware this sort of thing exists.

Hamish