[GRASS5] Re: Small bugs and notes

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Mar 9 01:57:49 EST 2005

The following will be fixed and uploaded to the CVS tomorrow

Michael
____________________
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

Phone: 480-965-6262
Fax: 480-965-7671
www: <www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton>

> From: Lorenzo Moretti <lorenzo.moretti at bologna.enea.it>
> Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:51:10 +0100
> To: <michael.barton at asu.edu>
> Subject: Small bugs and notes
>
> Hi Michael
>
> Markus has sent an email about changes in shell prompt but the changes for
> tcltk are for you.
> I resend to you some changes to add in cvs code for viewing Location name in
> GIS Manager window like my last grass60cvs.

Fixed d.m as requested

>> in display/d.m/d.m.tcl
>> ----------------------
>> row 205
>> proc Dm::_create_intro { } {
>>     global dmpath
>>     global GRASSVERSION
>> +   global location_name
>>     variable max_prgindic
>>
>>     set top [toplevel .intro -relief raised -borderwidth 2]
>>
>>     wm withdraw $top
>>     wm overrideredirect $top 1
>>
>>     set ximg [label $top.x -image [image create photo -file
>> "$dmpath/intro.gif"] ]
>>
>>     set frame [frame $ximg.f -background white]
>> -    set lab1 [label $frame.lab1 -text "GRASS $GRASSVERSION GIS Manager" \
>> +    set lab1 [label $frame.lab1 -text "GRASS $GRASSVERSION GIS Manager -
>> $location_name" \
>>
>> row 846
>> proc main {argc argv} {
>>     global auto_path
>>     global GRASSVERSION
>> +   global location_name
>>
>>     wm withdraw .
>> -   wm title . [G_msg "GRASS $GRASSVERSION GIS Manager"]
>> +   wm title . [G_msg "GRASS $GRASSVERSION GIS Manager - $location_name"]

> MISSING in etc/dm/menu.tcl (for all users)
> --------------------------
> line 88
> -         {command "List maps" {} "g.list" {} -command {execute }}
> +       {command "List maps" {} "g.list" {} -command {execute g.list }}

Fixed

> d.font.freetype (is missing from Menu)

Fixed

> Display standard GRASS fonts - show.fonts.sh is missing

This script does not exist in GRASS 6 (someone could rewrite it I suppose)

> ONLY IN OSX AQUA in etc/dm/menu.tcl
> -----------------------------------
>
> line 258
> -                     {command "Generate flow lines for raster map" {}
> "r.flow" {} -command {execute r.flow }}
> +                    {command "Generate flow lines for raster map" {} "r.flow"
> {} -command {term r.flow }}

This is a problem in X11 also. Fixed (changed to spawn r.flow).

But this is a module that has problems or execute would work. There are
others with similar issues among the hydrologic modeling group also.

> What do you think?
>

> ERRORS IN GRASS-OSX Tcl MENU
> ----------------------------
> - Raster with legend (inside GIS Manager)
>    The raster with legend is diplayed and at the end the monitor is erased
> (not in GRASS-X11 Tcl)

This will be fixed after 6.0 stable is released.

> - d.font  - when you select one X11 font in "Grass.app" freeze (I suspect
> about X11 font not good for Tcl in Aqua)

I don't know about this one. Not fixed.

> My notes aboute GIS Manager
> ===========================
>
> 2 menus are too much large for me

Both fixed (and a couple of others with similar issues)

> Display
> -------
> Redraw active display (Note: some items may not be redrawn)
> Redraw (some items may not be redrawn)
> (I have an error in this menu)
>

> Image
> -----
> Brovey transformation and pan sharpening for Landsat ETM, SPOT, and Quickbird
> Brovey transformation and pan sharpening
>

> FROM AN HEAVY OS X USER (FROM PORTUGAL)
>
>> I think that Grass 5.4 had more intuitive importing module organization. It
>> was more easy to find the right import module for a certain type of file
>> because they were directly listed in the menus. Maybe you could maintain the
>> previous specific modules in version 6, even considering that GDAL or OGR
>> substitute many of them. At least the description of these latest modules can
>> be updated. I can not find easily a command to import DXF files under Grass 6
>> for instance. GDAL it's as effective as the previous 5.4 module in importing
>> GeoTIFF files which is a format that I use very often to exchange info
>> between
>> Canvas 9, Mfworks, and Grass. One of my working mattes, that also is becoming
>> a GRASS addicted, is having some troubles in importing xyz files using the
>> v.in.ascii command, even considering that his xyz file seems to be well
>> formatted for import. Talking about GRASS addicted guys, we have their number
>> growing around here ;-)
>
> I've already answered to him about r.in.gdal, v.in.ogr and v.in.dwg.
> v.in.ascii has problems? For me no but I don't know...

V.in.ascii should be working fine now AFAIK. There is a check box (flag) for
r.in.gdal and for v.in.ogr that lists which formats are read. The easiest is
to have a single import routine that reads anything (i.e., even more
minimalistic than we now have--like GrafikConverter)