[GRASS5] [bug #3051] (grass) automatic names assignment in d.m needed

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Mar 10 00:34:31 EST 2005

Maciek,

This is not a bug, but a wish.

It would be nice to have the GIS Manager initially put the name of a map in
the layer tree instead of "raster 1", "vector 2", etc.

I looked at it a bit and now see why that would be difficult.

When a layer is initialized in the display tree, it gets added as the type
of map you want to add: raster, vector, label, command, group. At this
point, it adds a new branch to the layer tree and identifies it according to
type by icon and text (e.g., "raster 1").

At this point (i.e., when the branch and its display are initialized),
however, the GIS Manager has no way of knowing *which* raster or vector file
you want to put in this branch. In fact, you can initially decide to add a
map to the branch and later substitute a different map (of the same type of
course) in the same branch.

When you add a specific map to a raster or vector branch, its name shows up
in the appropriate entry box in the display panel. At this point, there is a
variable storing that map name. BUT, there is currently no way to
re-initialize the already displayed layer tree to substitute this map name
for "raster 1", etc. You can do this manually, of course--which updates that
particular layer tree branch name--but I can't yet see how to do this
automatically when  you add a map to the raster or vector display panel.

Maybe someone else will have an idea... and I'll keep thinking about it.

Michael
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402