[GRASS5] GRAS_PAGER

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Mar 10 11:43:23 EST 2005

I have recently tried GRASS6 on Mac and MSWindows and found that
GRASS_PAGER uses less instead of more, which is very incovenient
(and for some people confusing, because you have to type q after
running g.list to get your grass prompt back). Is there a reason
why it cannot be set as Lorenzo suggests and why is there the
less alternative? (see my guess below) People who haven't used
GRASS before would not realize that this behavior can be changed
as Hamish suggests below.

thanks for any hints,

Helena

Lorenzo suggests:

> It's more useful add this env in lib/init/init.sh
>
> row 28
> + GRASS_PAGER=more
> + export GRASS_PAGER
> or no ?

My answer:

Lorenzo,

it is there already and it looks like it uses less if it cannot find
more under /bin ???

 173 # Once the new environment system is committed we can delete these
lines
    174 # Export the PAGER environment variable for those who have it
set
    175 if [ "$PAGER" ] ; then
    176     export PAGER
    177 fi
    178
    179 # Set some environment variables if they are not set
    180 if [ ! "$GRASS_PAGER" ] ; then
    181     if [ -x /bin/more ] ; then
    182         GRASS_PAGER=more
    183     else