[GRASS5] [bug #3091] (grass) 3D vector output windowing needed

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Mon Mar 14 16:05:45 EST 2005

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3091

Subject: 3D vector output windowing needed

Platform: Solaris2.X/Sparc
grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
GRASS Version: 6.0.0

Hi again,

One function that does not seem to have grown well from 5.4 to 6.0 is the old v.cutregion.sh script.  The way to do it in 6.0 seems to be using v.select or v.overlay with the "and" operation.  This works well for 2D vectors, but not for 3D.

If I create a mask using v.in.region and then cut any 3D vector with v.select the result is an empty vector.  This is true for both 3D points and 3D lines.  Using v.overlay instead does cut the 3D lines, but the resulting vector is a projection onto the XY-plane with no Z-information retained, and v.overlay doesn't take point data so I couldn't even try it.  The result is that I cannot output any vector dataset as ASCII without getting the whole thing, rather than my desired subset.

I'm not sure what the reasoning was behind making r.out.ascii and v.out.ascii behave differently with respect to windowing, but I personally would really like to see the vector output cut to the active region just like raster output is now.  It would make my work easier.

Thanks,
Gilead Wurman
ASU Active Tectonics