[GRASS5] [bug #3087] (grass) high cpu usage

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Sat Mar 19 04:46:36 EST 2005

From: "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
To: "Request Tracker" <grass-bugs at intevation.de>
Cc: <grass5 at grass.itc.it>
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 1:05 AM
Subject: Re: [GRASS5] [bug #3087] (grass) high cpu usage

>> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3087
>
>> Subject: high cpu usage
>
>> GRASS Version: 6.0.0
>>
>> some commands, like d.zoom, d.what.rast or d.what.vect using about 50%
>> or more of cpu resources. there is no problem with this in grass54. my
>> cpu is pentium 4 2.8ghz.

> This is a known problem with all programs which use the mouse.

But a very serious one and requiring a fix if possible.

I'm not the one who reported on this (that was another Maciek :) ) so I
might not remember details, but as far as I know them guys use this machine
(P4 2.8 GHz, 4GB RAM) as a server for 12 Linux stations during GIS/Grass
classes and courses at the Wroclaw University. And when few users use any
d.* simultanously command on Grass6 it causes a complete deadlock of the
server and the only solution is to reset it. Which makes students, Grass
newbies in most, doubt in Grass quality.

> Essentially, to prevent the program from pausing until a mouse button
> is pressed, the code (libraster) polls for mouse events in a busy-wait
> rather than blocking until a mouse event is received (as was the case
> in 5.4 and earlier).

Due to this they still stick to Grass 5.4 in spite of 6.0 being such a great
and advanced software.

Maciek Sieczka