[GRASS5] [bug #3193] (grass) Building spatial index only for vectors once

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Mon May 2 04:33:44 EDT 2005

Request Tracker wrote:
> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3193
>
> Subject: Building spatial index only for vectors once
>
> Hi,
>
> now that the spatial index is no longer built automatically but generated at
> run-time as needed, it would be nice if it would save the spatial index so
> that subsequent calls didn't have to regenerate it everytime.
>
> e.g. running d.what.vect on LIDAR data takes a long time to start up, when
> running multiple queries you have to wait each time..
>
> maybe this is just me missing the point of not generating the spatial index
> upon vector creation: was the point to save time or disk space?

The reason was to save both. I am not sure if d.what.vect should write a
data, probably it should not.

Writing of the index to disk could be enabled by GRASS variable and/or
v.build option. But that changes vector format which must be supported
in all next version. Before we enable writing of spatial index, it
should be revised if the format can be changed to save some space.

Radim