[GRASS5] Ps.map wish/question

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun May 15 01:46:55 EDT 2005

I haven¹t used ps.map. It seems like a very useful module, but one that is
fairly complex to use. While looking though the docs, however, it became
apparent that it performs the same kind of display functions (to
paper/postscript file) as many of the d.* modules do (to the display
monitor)--and does a number of other special functions like setting paper
size and margins of course. However, it uses a slightly different syntax to
perform equivalent functions. E.g., rast [mapname] for ps.map vs. d.rast
[mapname] for screen display.

This led me wonder if it would be difficult to have ps.map accept as an
alternative syntax, the d.* commands for which it has equivalent functions.
D.vect (vareas, vlines, vpoints), d.rast (rast), d.barscale (scalebar),
d.grid (grid or geogrid) seem easily apparent. There might be reasonably
straightforward translation for additional d.* commands like d.frame and
d.graph also.

If this could be done, then either a set of normal GRASS commands‹or even
nicer, the file produced by d.save‹could be piped to ps.map to make nice
postscript output.

How feasible would this be?

Michael
PO Box 872402