[GRASS5] Re: POST_INSTALL.sh URL reference inaccurate, GRASS5.4 release branches, etc.

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Thu May 19 14:57:07 EDT 2005

I've cleaned out some irrelevant stuff from this thread of messages,
which started as a conversation between Paul and myself on another
matter, and now will CC: GRASS5, to get these questions & answers
into the archive.  Scroll down to see the start of the question -
sorry for the awkwardness.

--------------

Ah, good point.  I actually had already found where the html page
"went", but hadn't thought about the smartest way to fix it.  I
originally just wanted to fix the message that comes out of the build
process, i.e. change grass5 to grass50 in the URL to the compilation
hints page.

It does make sense to have a new set of compilation hints for 5.4.1,
and have it in the appropriate place on the web server.

But what I was really trying to figure out was WHERE in the code this
message is generated - I just found it, src/CMD/generic/POST_INSTALL.sh

I edited it to point to grass50/compilation_hints in my copy of the
CVS HEAD grass/ tree, but realize that isn't the full solution.

So ... if you'll humour me, to continue my education, can you confirm
my impression of how this would be fixed?  I've read some related
archived posts but am not completely sure that they still apply today.

I THINK the fix would mean creating a new compilation_hints.html in
the grass54 directory in the web server, then checking out / updating
releasebranch_5_4 grass, and fixing the URL reference in
POST_INSTALL.sh to point to the new compilation hints document,
instead of http://grass.itc.it/grass50/source/compilation_hints.html

Yes?  The bit I'm not certain about is where in CVS I find the
suitable code to be released as 5.4.1, and what the HEAD is for.

Is HEAD for testing bug fixes to the 5.4 line in general, and then if
they do what they should, they go in to the release branch, and then
after 5.4.1 is released, it all sticks around for bug fixes that
could eventually lead to 5.4.2 ?

Slowly, slowly, understanding more...  if I understand this correctly
I can at least do better at helping with cleaning up old READMEs, web
pages, etc.

Thanks,
Scott

On May 19, 2005, at 13:33, Paul Kelly wrote:

> Hello Scott
> I had a look and that directory was renamed a while ago on the
> website and is now called grass50---the page linked to is in there.
> I see now that it would obviously have been a good idea to change
> the information message to point to the grass54 directory and put a
> new compilation hints page in there, that could be updated as
> problems arose, but unfortunately it is too late. I suppose we can
> just remember to do that for 5.4.1.
>
> Paul
>
> Scott Mitchell wrote:
>
>> Great, thanks.
>> The 5.4.1 bit reminds me - I was just trying to compile 5.4 last
>> night on a laptop going on this trip with me.  I got a bunch of
>> errors compiling

>> The point is that I noticed that the build process directs the
>> user to a URL to get the compilation hints document if  there are
>> errors, and that URL is now out of date.  I thought this  was a
>> great example of something that I could quickly go fix in CVS,
>> but could not figure out where that text is stored...
>> I'm talking about the text that prints out at the end of the make
>> process:
>> GRASS GIS source code compiled.
>> * In case of errors please check following web page for hints:
>>     http://grass.itc.it/grass5/source/compilation_hints.html
>> * Install GRASS with (possibly as root)
>>     make install
>> Where would I find the source material to fix that URL?
>> Cheers,
>> Scott

>> On May 19, 2005, at 4:49, Paul Kelly wrote:

... (Irrelevant stuff deleted)