[GRASS5] db.oodbfedit: a _very_ simplistic approach to dbf attribute editing

Daniel Calvelo Aros dcalvelo at minag.gob.pe
Tue May 24 23:47:57 EDT 2005

From: "Moritz Lennert" <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>
Sent: Tue, 24 May 2005 22:49:14 +0200 (CEST)
> On Tue, May 24, 2005 10:02, Radim Blazek said:
> > To open a database table in spreadsheet is VERY BAD idea, you can be
> > almost sure that data will be corrupted somehow.
>
> Could you explain this. I have used this procedure quite often
> without any problems.

I have had very few problems with oocalc; the only possible glitch is to mess
the sort order, which is VERY bad.

With excel, however, you can end up with silent type conversions, loss or
messing of null values, columns added or cut, and generally unpredictable
things when trying to save back to dbf. In that respect, oocalc does a decent
job, especially given that type info is kept in the headers. There are also
hassles with trying to acces open files and so on. Under windows, of course.

You are doing this under linux, aren't you, Moritz?

Daniel.