[GRASS5] db.oodbfedit: a _very_ simplistic approach to dbf attribute editing

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed May 25 04:33:28 EDT 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 10:19, Radim Blazek said:
> Moritz Lennert wrote:
>>>To open a database table in spreadsheet is VERY BAD idea, you can be
>>>almost sure that data will be corrupted somehow.
>>
>> Could you explain this. I have used this procedure quite often without any
>> problems.
>
> If you know what you are doing it is possible, however people who are
> not able to define 'data source' can sort one column only etc.

Ok, agreed.

>>>Isn't it possible to open the table as "data source"?
>>
>> Yes, but I don't know how to do this automatically.
>
> I thought that OO could have some scripting support and a script could
> be run from command line, but I dont know if anything like that exists.

It might, but I haven't seen this, yet.

> Isn't it possible to open the dbf file with knoda directly?

This supposes that people use knoda, which in general means that they run KDE...

All these different elements contribute to the idea that finally my idea
wasn't so great ;-)
I'll pursue the other path of creating easy frontends to db.execute.

Thanks !

Moritz