[GRASS5] viewing map attribute table

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed May 25 09:00:49 EDT 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 14:32, Markus Neteler said:
> On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 10:38:29AM +0200, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Another missing feature in GRASS is the capacity to easily view the map
>> attribute table. The current option is 'db.select TableName', but the output
>> is not very beautiful and is difficult to browse.
>>
>> I think this feature would be useful in connection with the other attribute
>> management modules I just sent.
>>
>> Does anyone have an idea how to create a nicer and browsable display of an
>> attribute table in the tcltk interface ? I guess the easiest would be to
>> pipe
>> the db.select results into awk for formatting and then open a new tcltk
>> window
>> which displays the results.
>
> Maybe pipe the output of
>  v.db.select map
> into a tcl table viewer?

Yes, this is what I think as well. Daniel suggested TkTable, but I'm looking
at the possibilities of doing this with just the basic tcltk to avoid creating
another dependency.

> I have just added a WHERE statement to v.db.select.

Except for the the fact that in one you chose a map and in the other a table,
what is the difference between v.db.select and db.select ? (or is v.db.select
just a sort of frontend to db.select ?)

Moritz