[GRASS5] viewing map attribute table

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed May 25 10:46:29 EDT 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 15:00, Moritz Lennert said:
> On Wed, May 25, 2005 14:32, Markus Neteler said:
>> On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 10:38:29AM +0200, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> Another missing feature in GRASS is the capacity to easily view the map
attribute table. The current option is 'db.select TableName', but the
output
>>> is not very beautiful and is difficult to browse.
>>> I think this feature would be useful in connection with the other
attribute
>>> management modules I just sent.
>>> Does anyone have an idea how to create a nicer and browsable display of an
attribute table in the tcltk interface ? I guess the easiest would be to
pipe
>>> the db.select results into awk for formatting and then open a new tcltk
window
>>> which displays the results.
>> Maybe pipe the output of
>>  v.db.select map
>> into a tcl table viewer?
>

> Yes, this is what I think as well. Daniel suggested TkTable, but I'm looking
at the possibilities of doing this with just the basic tcltk to avoid
creating
> another dependency.

Using the code at the bottom of http://wiki.tcl.tk/3150 which uses the 'grid'
widget, I can currently display data relatively nicely, but the frame has the
size of the table, without any scrollbars and so when you get more than just a
few rows it goes way beyond the screen. In addition it takes quite a while to
load the data, so I guess it must be quite inefficient.

But I still have to refamiliarise myself with tcltk in order to create
anything useful. It's been a long time...

Any pointers concerning above problems are more than welcome.

Moritz