[GRASS5] Proposal for GRASS UI roadmap

Yann Chemin ychemin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 08:42:43 EST 2005

Thanks for the nice reading,

1 - Working with many layers is rather painful in GRASS right now.

An idea might be that when r.in.gdal a multi-layer image, it automatically
creates one multi-layer virtual access (group?) in the GUI.
Another idea might be that user may define (interactively select, or even
automagically scanned for in the list) a rootname and all layers in the
mapset answering to the "$rootname"+"*" would be grouped as one to the user.

2 - About screen display of large images, high-resolution images (and
g.region/zoom mis-haps) may cause great frustration to users while waiting
to redraw.

Maybe there is a way to fasten this. A very low resolution (about screen
size, something like a fat thumbnail) layer could be accessed initially. Or
even a set of pyramid layers (?).

3 - The focus on display is an important concept for users.

While running the lab sessions, newbie students only hang GRASS because they
do not know that you have to right-click to quit. They close the tool dialog
box, sometimes the active window too, and go to another task. This comes
certainly from other software experience, maybe when the mouse goes off
active display for some time, then the tool can be put in "hibernation" or
inactivated, not sure how/what, so that GRASS can still do other things.

Yann