[GRASS5] Proposal for GRASS UI roadmap

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Nov 7 23:49:02 EST 2005

I tend to agree with Martin on this. If QGIS were to embed all the
functionality and flexibility as GRASS, it would no longer be the fairly
slick, quick program it is now. The button bar is already getting pretty
busy (40 buttons with GRASS plugin installed, including 3 pull-downs, vs.
GRASS's 34).

I actually like the GRASS interface in many respects (but of course I would
wouldn't I?), and am most annoyed by the need to call programs like d.mon
and d.zoom for manipulating the display. Like Martin, I also like having
multiple windows to work with.

There need to be programs like QGIS that are efficient viewers coupled with
basic GIS capabilities. I like QGIS a lot and I hope QGIS can come to view
GRASS files on a Windows platform and without having to open it from within
GRASS. This would make it excellent for classroom use as well as for a broad
spectrum of users.

However, QGIS and other similar programs like JumpGIS and Thuban differ from
programs like GRASS (and ArcInfo or Idrisi) that are focused more on
research and analysis. I asked about the possibility of merging QGIS and
GRASS projects some time back. It sounds like that is not in the cards for
the near future at least, as QGIS has a somewhat different, but equally
important, set of goals from GRASS.

It would be nice if we could have one program that could meet all these
needs, but I'm not optimistic about whether we can (or even should) do that
at present. Nevertheless, I think it IS important to try to make even
complex programs like GRASS more accessible to a wider audience. This is an
important reason that we need to start planning the GRASS UI and not just
let it happen. QGIS has many nice features and great functionality for some
things. When improving the GRASS UI, we should look at QGIS closely--and at
other GIS projects. QT may be a great platform for the future GRASS UI. Or
it may be GTK, or even a beefed up TclTk. We may even decide on UI that
looks so much like QGIS that we want to build directly from that platform.

But before we make these decisions, I think we need to think about what a
21st century GIS package ought to look like and do. This will help us plan
how to carry this out better.

Cheers
Michael
Arizona State University