[GRASS5] Re: sqlite browser

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Nov 13 14:38:35 EST 2005

Perhaps an environmental variable like SQL_BROWSER_PATH might be useful,
given that the name (on my Mac at least) is full of spaces and has an
embedded version number which will change with every update. Some kind of
find that could return the name and path the the browser could automate
this.

I have several other randomly related thoughts.

1. If we do use sqlite, we need a translation utility between dbf and
sqlite.
2. We might want to have an "sql" directory in each mapset, like we do for
dbf. This would be the location for a default sqlite database for each
mapset, containing tables for each vector file. The default database could
simple carry the name of the mapset. This does not preclude the creation and
use of other sqlite database in other locations, of course.
3. GRASS would need to be able to create an empty sqlite database
automatically for each mapset, so that tables could be added as needed.

The browser could actually live inside the GRASS directory structure (e.g.,
$GISBASE/bin or somewhere else meaningful) if included, as it's not all that
big. In this case, it could be given a simple name like "sqlite_browser".
This might make the test you propose easier. It could also be a link to the
app in another location, but that might get more difficult.

Michael
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-2402

phone: 480-965-6213