[GRASS5] Suggestions for gui discussion

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Nov 15 01:11:03 EST 2005

I am very happy about all the interest and comments generated by the
proposal for the next generation GUI for GRASS. I will compile these and
hope to work with people interested working on this part of the GRASS
project to come up a set of UI specs and proposed roadmap for consideration
by early next year. In the meantime, please continue with the comments and
suggestions. They are very helpful and represent thoughts about how to make
GIS useable from the people who are actually using GIS on a daily basis.

A couple things would help me and others to begin to parse the your ideas
into a coherent proposal. Christian Wygoda suggested that we begin to use
the grassgui list. This has been a largely inactive list for awhile. But
this seems like the  perfect time to reactivate it, especially as it has a
pretty large member list.

So I¹d request that you cross-post any general comments on the gui proposal
to grassgui at grass.itc.it
For nitty-gritt discussions about the gui, it may be best to focus primarily
on the gui list. Is this OK with everyone? I¹m happy to cross-post all to
the developer¹s list if this is desired, but don¹t want to fill everyone¹s
mailboxes with double posts.

Second, for any comments that involve comparisons with the current GRASS GUI
(I like this, but...; I really don¹t like this...; I like how x is done
better in [name your GIS/interface]), it would be helpful if you could
specify which GRASS version you¹re working with. Even better, it would be
helpful if you are using the current 6.1 cvs version. The reason is that the
GUI (even the TclTk GUI) has evolved considerably since version 6.0 and is a
completely different experience from 5.4. This will also help in making
improvements to the current UI (which must still serve for awhile) while
we¹re developing a new one.

Thanks again for all the interest. It is greatly appreciated.

Michael

Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-2402

phone: 480-965-6213