[GRASS5] GRASS GUI

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 23:36:53 EST 2005

> GTK: X11.  That is, on Mac OS X is requires the X11 environment.  I
> saw the beginnings of a native Mac port, but it could take a while.
> I'm not sure how it works on Windows, cygwin?  I think I saw a well
> developed native port.

gtk for Windows is distributed as a dll installer, e.g. the WinGIMP
download page. GIMP on the Mac runs under X11, but in practice you
double click the gimp icon and you get the gimp program. It isn't really
a hurdle.

[...]
> As for a choice of GUI kits, I wonder if would be possible to
> abstract the GUI functions in a GRASS library, and that will use
> whichever GUI kit was built into that copy of GRASS.

quick prototyping:

all modules are can be run with "--interface-description" to give XML of
all the options etc.  Loop through all the module names and capture all
the module interface commands to a file, and go from there.

The PNG driver can create PPM output which you can use to fill windows.

Hamish