FW: [GRASSGUI] Re: [GRASS5] re: Grass GUI

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 17 18:59:48 EST 2005

> > I can't tell you how many times I have been asked by my boss and any
> > number of the engineers here: "Can I get this in 3D?  Can I have
> > your interpretation of the contaminant plume under the surface but
> > over the bedrock and I want to show all three simultaneously?  Oh!
> > And by the way, I'd like to be able to take that as a movie to show
> > the client or the public how it may harm/hurt their cause?"
> >
> > To try and advance my efforts toward this end, I have been in
> > communication with Brad Whitlock at Lawrence Livermore National Labs
> > (whitlocb at smtp-2.llnl.gov) concerning the use of their program,
> > called VISIT, for just this type of 'true' 3D display.  (I don't
> > believe he would object to my sharing his email address.)  This
> > program, like MayaVi and Paraview use the VTK or SILO formats as
> > their 'native' format.  Doesn't work so well when NO GIS out there
> > writes to these formats.

For the record, GRASS (6.1) now has r.out.vtk and r3.out.vtk modules for
exporting 2D and 3D raster maps to the VTK format.

http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2005-August/019149.html
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2005-August/019365.html
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2005-August/019392.html
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2005-November/020247.html

do check out the mpeg demo on Soeren's site:
http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules/

Hamish