[GRASS5] datum conversion problems

Roger Miller roger at spinn.net
Sun Nov 27 10:35:16 EST 2005

Folks,

This is a little long, but please stay with me.

I am working on a project in which I need to convert data locations measured
in UTM coordinates using NAD 27 to UTM coordinates using NAD 83.  The
resulting coordinates are used to select an elevation from a digital
elevation model in UTM coordinates using NAD 83 with a 10-m spacial
resolution and a vertical resolution of 0.1 meters.  The results I produce
need to be reproduceable by other parties using other software and any
differences between our results must be negotiated.  Potentially millions of
dollars can swing on a systematic error.

So far the results are not reproduceable and negotiations are progressing.

I have long regarded the conversion programs from the National Geodetic Survey
(NGS) as being authoritative.  The Corpscon program released by the Army
Corps of Engineers produces results that are identical to results from the
NGS software.  I think Corpscon is little more that an GUI for the NGS
software.  The nad2nad program that accompanies the Proj package produces
results that are within about 1 cm of the results from the NGS software.

The s.proj (Grass 5.3) and v.proj (Grass 6.0.1) programs produce results that
are systematically different from the results of the NGS program.  In my data
set, the eastings differ by a very consistent 13 meters.

About 3 years ago I adapted the grass [rsv].proj programs to do the nad27 <->
nad83 conversion.  I recall that at that time I benchmarked the process
against the NGS software.  Subsequently the [rsv].proj modules were modified
to perform more general transformations using the pj_transform function in
the Proj library.  The pj_transform function returns results that are
different from the results returned by nad2nad, or the NGS software.

My first question is probably more appropriate for the Proj developers, but
I'll ask it here first, hopefully avoiding the need to join Yet Another
Mailng List.  Which provides the more correct result for converting nad27 to
and from nad83, nad2nad.c or pj_transform?

My second question regards CVS.  I wanted to reconstruct the old 5.0 versions
of v.proj so that I might review the method I used and confirm its results.
The HTML gateway to CVS shows information for the old version, but that
program refers to functions that aren't present in the code or in the proj
library.  Could that code have been lost from CVS?

I am concerned by what appears to me to be an avoidable inaccuracy in GRASS,
but my problems are small compared to my cooperators problems.  They are
using ESRI software and are unable to reproduce the NGS results within wide
margins.  I asked a friend of mine who regularly uses ESRI software to
benchmark the results against the NGS software.  She used a few different
methods and found that the nad83 locations reported by the ESRI ArcEditor
software were not close to the NGS results.  Differences were as large as 100
meters.

The ESRI software is closed source, so it is impossible for my cooperators to
defend their results -- something they are painfully aware of.

Roger Miller