[GRASS5] OODBMS for GRASS

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 21:48:57 EDT 2005

>                  I am presently doing my Master in
>   Engineering (M.E.) in Geoinformatics in the
> Institute
>   of Remote Sensing, Anna University, Chennai,India.
> As
>   part of my course I must complete a project on the
> topic of " Object Oriented Cadastral Information
> System " where I will be using a GRASS 6 GIS software.
> I intend to  change the existing database of GRASS 6
> to Object Oriented Database using C++ or by any other
> programming languages. But on interacting with the GIS
> professionals through online, I am informed that this
> project was not feasible and very difficult to
> implement on the existing GRASS database. I am really
> confused and desperate to know the truth for which
> only experts on this GIS software will be able to help
> me. Please let me know the feasibilty to execute this
> thesis in 6 months. Also please inform me if C++ is
> the best programming language to carry out this task
> or if there is any other better language to work on
> GRASS.

Someone who knows the DB stuff and OO programming better than myself
will have to comment on the viability, but GRASS is generally written in
C. C++ is supported though (eg r.terraflow; --with-cxx) and GRASS uses
C++ libraries (eg GDAL) extensively. The only experts I would take
advice from on this subject (w.r.t. GRASS 6) are the other developers on
this mailing list who know the GRASS internals....

As an alternative you might check out Saga GIS, it seems to be GPL, OO
oriented, and written in C++.  http://www.saga-gis.org

Hamish