[GRASS5] [bug #3740] (grass) g.setproj Segmentation fault when trying to create custom geodetic datum

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sat Oct 15 15:35:35 EDT 2005

Request Tracker wrote:
> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3740
>
> Subject: g.setproj Segmentation fault when trying to create custom geodetic datum
>
> Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
> grass obtained from: Mirror of Trento site
> grass binary for platform: Downloaded precompiled Binaries
> GRASS Version: 6.0.1
>
> I'm trying to generate a new projection for an already existing location.
> There is NO projection information at the moment in the location, so the name of the location is (null).
> When using g.setproj, I choose to create custom geodetic datum and just after entering the false northing, a Segmentation fault arises.
> The bug appears always and has been tested with the Gentoo 2005 and SUSE 9.3 distributions.
> The workaround is to generate any NOT CUSTOM projection information and then to manually edit the PROJ_INFO file.

Can you give some more information on what prompts you are getting and
your responses. It may be nothing to do with a custom datum if the
problem is at the false northing stage... that is when details of the
projection are being entered. Perhaps you are using a projection that
has buggy support from g.setproj. It doesn't support interactive
entering of all projections in PROJ and is known to have bugs in some
that it does support (lcc comes to mind). If you know the PROJ
parameters you can manually edit the PROJ_INFO file after setting up to
fix it and things will work just as well.

Paul