[GRASS5] Re: question about sqlite

Daniel Calvelo Aros dcalvelo at minag.gob.pe
Wed Oct 19 14:25:15 EDT 2005

From: Radim Blazek <radim.blazek at gmail.com>
Sent: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:22:09 +0200
> On 10/18/05, Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu> wrote:
> > Radim,
> >
> > Could you give me a quick overview of what it means to compile GRASS with
> > sqlite? Here are a couple questions I have.
> >
> > 1) Is it simply a driver that lets GRASS recognize a database/table created
> > by sqlite in an active sqlite session started in another process, like a
> > Postgresql table in an active Postgresql session?

Not quite. A SQLite "database" is a file, just like with DBF. There is no
client-server infrastructure for SQLite. SQLite is transactional, so you can
open the same file in two sessions, and there will be concurrent access,
mostly problem-free.

> > 2) Does it/can it active an sqlite session from within GRASS?

What it does is access the indicated sqlite file using the SQLite language and
tranaction infrastructure, through the libsqlite library.