[GRASS5] Start planning for GRASS 6.2?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Oct 27 01:53:16 EDT 2005

It seems like GRASS 6.1 is pretty stable, although the flood of new and
improved features continues. I haven¹t seen any major problems in quite
awhile. And there are LOTS of improvements in 6.1 over 6.0. Should we begin
thinking about creating a 6.2 GRASS by the end of the year and moving new
development to a 6.3?

There are a couple features I want to ask about that would round out a 6.2
release very nicely. One is the inclusion of the GRASS Extension Manager
(GEM) nearing completion by Benjamin Ducke. This would make GRASS more
easily extensible if included in the source distribution.

The other is a better attribute database management system (some kind of a
spreadsheet like form for data tables, with some basic editing, selecting,
and maybe even querying). There was some discussion a short while back about
adapting an existing set of tools for this, tied to implementing SQLite (I
can¹t remember who at the moment). More recently, the possibility has been
raised about making SQLite the default attribute data management
system‹although having briefly looked at the new system used by Open Office
2, I wonder if we might want to think about heading in that direction (or
does the Java platform make it difficult?). Is this a possibility in the
near future?

So, is it time to plan for a new release?

Michael
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-2402

phone: 480-965-6213