[GRASS5] GRASS 6 capabilities?

Roger Miller roger at spinn.net
Thu Oct 27 20:04:49 EDT 2005

Folks,

I have frequent problems when importing vector files prepared with ESRI
products to GRASS5.x  If two or more polygons share a node then GRASS5.x
supports them as a single polygon.  Errors are generated in v.support because
GRASS5.x sees multiple attributes associated with one polygon.  Any
subsequent operation that needs to identify the imported polygons tends to
produce useless results.

The only way I know of to fix the problem after the polygons are imported is a
difficult process.  I have to export the polygons as ascii files, identify
polygons that share identical nodes and rotate the sequence of points in one
or more polygons so that all of the polygons start and end at unique points.

I know this isn't a bug, but it is an unfortunate feature of GRASS5.x that has
caused me hours of work and cost my clients money.  Is this problem fixed in
GRASS6.x?

Roger Miller