[GRASS5] raster map file format

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 31 01:32:23 EST 2005

Any thoughts on finally rearranging the raster map storage format soon
after 6.2 is released? (into $MAPSET/raster/$MAPNAME/cell etc)
This will break a lot of modules but it needs to happen some time..

Other queued raster format updates could be done at the same time.
 - majorly rewrite the meta-data setup (see previous email)
 - Put LZW compression back in?
 - Start from scratch using netCDF, XML, or some other newfangled system?
    (Glynn, Frank, Andrea?, et al: How horrible or apt is GRASS's raster
     format anyway? for a format accessed row by row, is it fairly
nice?)

This needs someone to do it too of course .. :) as well as necessitate
bumping us up to GRASS 7.0, FWTIW.

But if we decide to do it, we can break it soon after a release and
force everyone to fix things as they want their pet module back ;)

thoughts?

Hamish