[GRASS5] mapset invalid after copy

Stephan Holl holl at gdf-hannover.de
Thu Sep 1 01:53:14 EDT 2005

Hello Glynn,

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:46:57 +0100 Glynn Clements
<glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Paulick Consult wrote:
>
> > I had to exchange a harddisk, so I moved the GRASS-locations from a
> > reiserfs to a fat32 drive. When restoring the system, I receive
> > "Warning: this is not a valid mapset" without any further hint.
> >
> > GRASS was build out of cvs and the permissions on files and
> > directories are set identical. Any idea what I may have messed up?
>
> Copying to a FAT filesystem and back won't retain ownership or
> permissions, and may result in the case of filenames being changed.
>
> I don't know where that error originates, but from its wording I
> suspect that the most likely cause is that one or more files or
> directories have had their case changed.

I can confirm this. While copying back from a Fat-formated USB-stick,
the PROJ_INFO, DEFAULT_WIND  and WIND-Files were lower case. Change
them to upper-case again and everything works again.

Best
	Stephan

--
GDF Hannover - Solutions for spatial data analysis and remote sensing
Hannover Office      -     Mengendamm 16d      -     D-30177 Hannover
Internet: www.gdf-hannover.de      -      Email: holl at gdf-hannover.de
Phone : ++49-(0)511.39088507       -        Fax: ++49-(0)511.39088508