[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:8421] Re: NVIZ broken after X.org install [solved]

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Sep 27 13:11:09 EDT 2005

Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> > After a recent re-compile of GRASS6-CVS, I noticed that NVIZ fails to
> > compile with the error:
> >
> > undefined reference to `XF86VidModeQueryVersion'
> >
> > Some googling suggests that this is an X.org related problem, as my X11
> > header files and or libs are either in the way, or somehow confusing the
> > NVIZ compilation.
> >
> > Has anyone dealt with this before?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Well... Bad form replying to my own email, but it looks like I have uncovered
> one way of fixing this problem:
>
> add -lXxf86vm to the /nviz/src/Makefile
>
> Perhaps we can put some kind of autodetection into the configure script? I
> noticed that this does not happen with Kubuntu, but with Debian Sarge

NVIZ certainly shouldn't be using XF86VidModeQueryVersion() or
libXxf86vm unconditionally (I don't know if this is the case; I've
just switched ISPs and I need my CVS access updated). That function is
specific to XFree86/X.org versions, and won't exist in other X11
implementations (e.g. those shipped with commercial Unices).

The configure script should be checking for the header
(X11/extensions/xf86vmode.h) and library, and NVIZ shouldn't only use
the function if those checks succeed. Also, it needs to allow for the
possibility of the function failing at run-time (if the X server
in use doesn't have the XFree86-VidModeExtension extension).