[GRASS5] Re: [bug #4248] (grass) r.surf.contour: Treats 0 as NULL and other archaic problems

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 21:42:20 EDT 2006

> ---
>
> nn
> Natural Neighbours interpolation library
> Version 1.57
>
> C library functions and two utilities for Natural Neighbours
> interpolation.
>
> Copyright 2000-2005 CSIRO Marine Research
> GPO 1538 Hobart
> TAS 7001
> Australia
> Please send comments and bugs to Pavel.Sakov at csiro.au
>
> There is no warranty whatsoever.  Use at your own risk.
>
> This code may be freely redistributed under the condition that the
> copyright notices are not removed. You may distribute modified
> versions of this code UNDER THE CONDITION THAT THIS CODE AND ANY
> MODIFICATIONS MADE TO IT IN THE SAME FILE REMAIN UNDER COPYRIGHT OF
> CSIRO, BOTH SOURCE AND OBJECT CODE ARE MADE FREELY AVAILABLE WITHOUT
> CHARGE, AND CLEAR NOTICE IS GIVEN OF THE MODIFICATIONS.
>
> ---

"BOTH SOURCE AND OBJECT CODE ARE MADE FREELY AVAILABLE WITHOUT CHARGE"

I don't know if that is GPL compatible; you can sell GPL binaries, you
just have to give your customer the source code if they want it (and if
the customer wants they can do what they want with it, e.g. publish that
source on the net for everyone else).

Also I don't like the fact that any changes I make to the code become
"property" of CSRIO, even if it is easy enough to keep nn as a function
in separate file.

> But the license name is not mentioned if this matters. I will ask
> author right away.

Maybe he is happy with a GPL or dual-GPL license agreement with GRASS.

Hamish