[GRASS5] [bug #4260] (grass) v.out.ogr: ERROR 4 when writing do a dir containing a dbf file of a similar name

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Fri Apr 7 04:49:23 EDT 2006

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=4260

Subject: v.out.ogr: ERROR 4 when writing do a dir containing a dbf file of a similar name

Platform: GNU/Linux/x86
grass obtained from: CVS
grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
GRASS Version: 2006-04-05

When exporting a shapefile into a directory, where a dbf with a similar name already exists, v.out.ogr will yield an ERROR 4:

### In the destination DIR there is already an "test_org.dbf" file:

$ ls ~/moment/
test_org.dbf

### And somehow this confuses v.out.ogr, because it says:

$ v.out.ogr input=test type=area dsn=moment olayer=test
ERROR 4: Unable to open moment/test_org.shp or moment/test_org.SHP.
Exporting 1114 areas (may take some time) ...
 100%

### However, the shapefile seems to be written fine, looks fine when viewed in
### QGIS. Here's the dsn dir content after export:
$ ls ~/moment/
test.dbf  test_org.dbf  test.prj  test.shp  test.sh

Yet I'm still wondering if it is not corrupting my data. Or if it could, another day. The ERROR 4 looks creepy.

Maciek