Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 05:03:41 EDT 2006

I have summarized your suggestions in one mail
and I added also the terms currently used in the modules
which I did not tell you before because I did not want
to influence your mind.

Please tell me if the terms currently used are at least acceptable
because using these original names I can avoid some extra work.

On 3/31/06, Radim Blazek <radim.blazek at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to include my implementation of LRS
> (lineare reference system) which was available here
> http://mpa.itc.it/radim/lrs/index.html
> in standard GRASS distribution.
> The LRS supports georeferencing of points and segments
> given by linear feature, e.g. a road and a position on the
> linear feature in real world for exemple km+meters.
> It can also do reverse task, that means to report linear feature
> and position (road nr., km+m) for point (near the road).
> I have a question about terminology, I am in doubts how to call
> 1) The value specifying certain fix point in real world, e.g.
>   milepost, milestone. The point has usually a physical representation
>   but I mean the value it represents i.e. mile, kilometer,
>   not the physical object.

Currently called 'milepost'.

On 3/31/06, Tim Semmelhaack <t.semmelhaack at hamburg-consult.de> wrote:
> I German we use the expression "Kilometrierung" but I haven't found an
> English counterpart.

On 4/1/06, Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:
> In the U.S. it will be called like "Mile 17".

Yes, it will be probably difficult to avoid mile or kilometer in the

On 4/1/06, Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it> wrote:
> http://dict.leo.org/cgi-bin/dict/forum.cgi?action=show&group=forum002_new&sort_order=&list_size=30&list_skip=60&file=20050820084422
> Kilometrierung = chainage?

According to the link they use 'chainage' for complete notati,
i.e. km+m that means 1) + 2) :
| Chainage is entered and displayed as whole kilometers (1,000 meters) plus a
| number of meters.

> 2) The value which specifies the distance along a linear object
>     from 1) (from milepost) to a certain position on the linear feature.
>     The distance is given for example in meters or feets.

Currently called 'offset'

On 4/1/06, Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:
> interval?

I feel that interval is something between 2 points on the same
level of importance and without 'direction'.

> the "lead"? (as in leader not Pb)

> 3) How to call the module which generates labels of existing LRS
>     Here is example of a map with labels and strokes generated
>     byt this module: http://mpa.itc.it/radim/lrs/stationing-small.png

Currently called 'v.lrs.stationing'

On 3/31/06, Laurent C. <lrntct at gmail.com> wrote:
> v.lrs.label ?

There are also the strokes not just labels.

On 3/31/06, Tim Semmelhaack <t.semmelhaack at hamburg-consult.de> wrote:
> In Arcview the labels of linear referencing are called "hatch"

Hatch is usually used in CAD for areas filled by parallel lines.


More information about the grass-dev mailing list