[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:626] Re: LRS

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 14:23:56 EDT 2006

I don't think waypoint is a good term to use:

A "milepost" is a datum in a linear coordinate system.
A "waypoint" is a station used to define a navigable route.

A waypoint can be defined in terms of a milepost, but the converse is
not true. A waypoint  is defined only on the chart (or GPS today) as a
means of directing the course of a journey. Whereas a milepost (or
milestone) is often a real sign posted on the side of the road. A
milepost is a name for a spot on the earth.

Considering how much naviagation is being done in GIS through the use
of GPS waypoints, it would be confusing to introduce an unconventional
definition of the word "waypoint".

David Finlayson