[GRASS5] Color prompt partially implemented, color confusion.

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Apr 17 13:15:58 EDT 2006

Helena Mitasova
Dept. of Marine, Earth and Atm. Sciences
1125 Jordan Hall, NCSU Box 8208,
Raleigh NC 27695
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/

On Apr 17, 2006, at 1:02 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

>>> Colours which refer to the corners of the colour cube should have
>>> the
>>> correct values, so magenta should be 255,0,255. Arguably, gray/grey
>>> (do we need both spellings; the rest of GRASS uses US spellings
>>> consistently) should be 127/128 (the centre of the colour cube).
>>>
>>> It doesn't really matter about orange, indigo, violet, brown or
>>> aqua,
>>> as those don't have any obvious definition, although we should
>>> decide
>>> whether 50% is 127 or 128 and use one value consistently.
>>>
>>> Cyan should either be removed from G_str_to_color() or added to the
>>> list of standard colours in the display architecture. Updating the
>>> display architecture is tricky, as there are quite a few places that
>>> would need to be changed. OTOH, it's the only corner which isn't in
>>> the list.
>>
>> I would vote for adding cyan if possible, Helena
>
> Can we discard "aqua" in favour of cyan? Or make "aqua" a synonym for
> cyan? If we don't have to change the number of standard colours, it's
> less likely that something important will break.

I use aqua a lot in addition to cyan in the same map, so making aqua
synonym for cyan would be
confusing (at least for me). If necessary, it would be less
confusing  to discard aqua and I would just define it as RGB or use
indigo
instead.

Helena