[GRASS5] 100% cpu mouse bug

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 23 23:27:16 EDT 2006

> > > It's probably about time to get some closure on the long-standing
> > > GRASS 6 uses 100% cpu during mouse ops. issue.
..
> Are you reffering to the bug
> http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3087?

Yes.

> I'm asking because the discussion is going on in this thread like if
> nobody read my post from yesterday,

Sometimes it takes a while for the emails to get through the system and
read..

> in which I said that d.* modules that use mouse (d.zoom, d.what.vext
> -x, d.measure) no longer utilize 100% CPU. Although they used to, only
> few weeks ago. Looks like the bug is solved, though I can't find any
> relevant entry in the commit list, and even Hamish seems to still have
> this bug (as he started the thread).

I posted without checking. As you noticed for most modules it is gone.
Brilliant.

> Only v.digit and d.what.vect in FORM mode still load CPU
> significantly, yet even with them the situation is _a_lot_better_ -
> now it is possible to normally enter and edit attributes, not having
> to pray for the form to cooperate - even though the CPU is hot.
>
> As nobody comments on my observations, I'm wondering if I'm the only
> one to notice the change for better. I think it isn't about my
> particular setup, nothing special has changed in my system for over
> half a year, I guess.
>
> May I ask you for any feedback on this? How do the d.zoom and
> d.what.vect work for you now?

It seems that Radim is the silent hero,
  http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-commit/2006-March/021143.html
  http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-commit/2006-March/021144.html
(etc.)

Maybe the same solution could be used in the form lib?

Hamish