[GRASS5] [bug #4331] (grass) delete if file exist - flag

Martin Wegmann wegmann at biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de
Tue Apr 25 12:14:48 EDT 2006

Hello Michael,

to which command do you refer? I looked into the man pages and found no -o
flag there and tried it inside GRASS with r.resample/r.rescale/r.rescale but
received everytime the "-o is not a valid flag".

stop wait; I tried it with --o (two dashes) and it works.
Why two dashes and not one as every other flag?

thanks for pointing me to it.

Shall I (or somebody else) add "--o" to all r.* html pages?

regards, Martin

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 17:43, Michael Barton wrote:
> You're in luck. This DOES exist.
>
> Just add --o to the end of a command and it will force an overwrite of any
> existing file.
>
> Michael
> Center for Social Dynamics and Complexity
> Arizona State University
>
> phone: 480-965-6213
> fax: 480-965-7671
>
> > From: Request Tracker <grass-bugs at intevation.de>
> > Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 18:37:29 +0200 (CEST)
> > To: <grass5 at grass.itc.it>
> > Subject: [GRASS5] [bug #4331] (grass) delete if file exist - flag
> >
> > this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=4331
> >
> > Subject: delete if file exist - flag
> >
> > Platform: GNU/Linux/x86
> > grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
> > grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
> > GRASS Version: cvs 24.04.2006
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > a flag for each module to delete a raster/vector if the file already
> > exists would be good.
> > A hidden g.remove with the respective name would do the job. That would
> > make it easier for users to play with certain settings and not
> > substituting each time the old name or run g.remove.
> >
> > BTW the delete file handling is not consistent (but I think that has been
> > discussed earlier) r.mapcalc is just overwriting the file but e.g.
> > r.rescale does prompt an error message that the file exist.
> >
> > regards, Martin

Martin Wegmann

DLR - German Aerospace Center
German Remote Sensing Data Center
@
Dept.of Geography
Remote Sensing and Biodiversity Unit
&&
Dept. of Animal Ecology and Tropical Biology
University of Wuerzburg
Am Hubland
97074 Würzburg

phone: +49-(0)931 - 888 4797