[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:867] Re: New GRASS intro

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Apr 26 01:31:53 EDT 2006

Thanks Wolfgang.

For what it's worth, ArcGIS needs to have many things separately installed
(some of which you must buy for quite a bit of money) to have full
functionality.

I very much agree with you about the installation. It's getting much better
than it used to be (when everyone had to run the command-line installer
script for binaries AFTER installing things like GDAL), but we need more
help in maintaining binaries.

Because GRASS has evolved through contributions of many people over many
years, it still has some inconsistencies (e.g., input vs. map, although
sometimes this is sensible). As more developers begin to help with the
program, a lot of this is getting cleaned up. I've seen enormous changes
over the past 2 years. Your input as a user (and maybe helping work on GRASS
eventually) is welcome.

With respect to the numbering, odd numbers are development versions/betas
and even numbers are stable versions. 6.0 was released a little over a year
ago and we're now working towards a new stable release with lots of
improvements.

Stay tuned.

Cheers
Michael