[GRASS5] gis.m as default GUI

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 05:11:54 EDT 2006

The new startup screen is great Michael.

on main screen and define new proj loc:
"Path to location" [nee database] -> "Path containing location(s)" ?

"Define new projection location" -> Define new projected location" ?

It'll be even better when we can simply double click a mapset name ;)

> For TclTk, I think replacing d.profile will be pretty straightforward.
> I'm have some ideas at least about how do to i.points and r.digit.

r.digit should be easy. The C version is already just a frontend that
writes to an ASCII file, which in the final step is fed to r.in.poly
creating the raster.

> It seems to me that nviz doesn't really need x11, but this is an
> opinion that is pretty ignorant of how it works internally (I've
> looked at the TclTk part but don't understand how it interacts with
> the C part or X11 part).

$ grep -rI '#include' visualization/nviz/ | grep X11 | wc -l
33

$ grep -rI '#include' visualization/nviz/ | grep X11 | cut -f1 -d: | uniq
visualization/nviz/src/do_zoom.c
visualization/nviz/src/interface.h
visualization/nviz/src/interface_old.h
visualization/nviz/src/tkInt4.0.h
visualization/nviz/src/tkUnixPort.h
visualization/nviz/src/tkWinPort.h
visualization/nviz/src/togl.c
visualization/nviz/src/togl.h
visualization/nviz/src/togl_cb.c
visualization/nviz/src/togl_flythrough.c

.. NVIZ needs X11, although it is full of:

#ifdef X11
.
.
.
#endif

which indicates that it could be possible to use if compiled without X11
support, perhaps with diminished functionality. I would guess NVIZ on
OSX without X11 would be doable, but might take some minor adjustments.

It probably needs to be made with:
./configure --without-x
?

Hamish