[GRASS5] Re: v.clean rmsa option - what does it do ?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Apr 28 06:31:32 EDT 2006

Radim Blazek wrote:
> On 4/28/06, Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
>
>>Radim Blazek wrote:

>>>If angle between 2 lines is smaller than threshold the lines
>>>are broken and the partialy merged.
>>
>>Thanks for the explanation.
>>
>>So if I understand correctly it does what is shown here:
>>
>>http://geog-pc40.ulb.ac.be/grass/rmsa.pdf
>

> No, this can be don with 'prune' but tolerance is distance.
>
> I have attached picture of what rmsa does.

Thanks, that makes it much clearer. However, one more thing. In the
source code you write:

"It may happen that even if the angle between 2 boundaries at node is
very small, the calculated angle is 0 because of representation error."

And when one tries to set a threshold, the module says "WARNING:
Threshold for tool 1 may not be > 0, set to 0".

So, does this mean that this tool only works automatically for those
nodes where the calculation ends up with an angle of 0 ? The user cannot
change this threshold.

Should the description of the tool thus read something like this:

rmsa: remove small angles between lines at nodes (Only concerns angles
which are so small that the calculated angle is 0. The user cannot
change this threshold.)

Moritz