[GRASS-dev] Planning for GRASS 6.2

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Fri Aug 4 05:50:43 EDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 06:36:51PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:

>> GRASS 6.1-CVS HEAD meanwhile contains various fixes and
>> improvements which are too complicated to be backported to
>> the release branch.
>>
>> My suggestions are:
>> - test 6.1.0RC1, eventuall release it as 6.1.0
>>   without further backports. Stop working on this branch
>> - do the bug day soon

Before that, the Bug Tracker should be updated. I've been doing my best
within last months and BT has improved a lot (cheers to Paolo Cavallini
and others who worked on this too!). Currently Eric Patton, Stephan Holl
(thanks Guys!) and I are working on this together. But it's going slow.
I can't promise we are done in a week or 2. So I wouldn't hope too much
for the bug squashing day taking place before 6.2 release.

More users involved in verifying the BT would be very appreciated!

Ladies, Gentlemen? All it takes is to:

1. Install Grass 6.1 current CVS, or the 6.1 RC at least.

2. Download sample datasets:
   - for non-3D raster bugs:
     http://grass.itc.it/sampledata/spearfish_grass60data-0.2.tar.gz
   - for 3D raster bugs:
     http://mpa.itc.it/grasstutor/data7/slovakia3d.tar.gz

2. Pick any grass6 bug from
https://intevation.de/rt/webrt?logout=guest&q_queue=grass

3. Scroll to the bottom of the report and see what's the status.

4. If the status isn't fresh (last days), or if the bug lacks enough
information to *easily* reproduce it, try doing it in the appropriate
dataset.

5. Update the information in the bug report:
   - Press the 'Reply' link.
   - Enter information: is the bug reproducable? If so, provide a
     detailed test case so a developer can easily take care of the bug;
     if the report is completely obscure, ask the author if he at least
     can update the bug's status.
   - CC myself, tutey at o2.pl, so I stay updated and can close or
     test/comment further to improve the report usability.
   - Press 'Send Response'.

'Replies' from the tracker are automatically forwarded *only* to bug
reporter and bug owner. So if you need the reply reach any other address
(including Grass dev list) you have to explicitely put it in the CC box;
you can CC many addresses seperated with comma.

At least, users who ever reported anything - please take a look into
your reports and give some feedback!

Hey, it's open source :)!

After all is done I will craft a list of reproducable, confirmed bugs
and developers can start effectively working on these issues.

Maciek