[GRASS-dev] file permissions

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Aug 4 17:38:45 EDT 2006

Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> After compilation, I'm getting wrong files permissions:
> - -rw-r----- 1 root root 613 2006-08-04 19:32
> /usr/local/grass-6.1.0beta1/etc/grass_write_ascii.style
> and other files in:
> /usr/local/grass-6.1.0beta1/bwidget/lang/*
> My fault, or Makefile's?

A lot of Makefiles do bulk copying using "tar c | tar x", which will
preserve the permissions of the original files. The easiest solution
is to run "chmod -R go+rX" on the build directory.

The only long-term solution is to stop using "tar" in the Makefiles,
but to use $(INSTALL) and $(INSTALL_DATA) instead.