[GRASS-dev] GRASS & cygwin quite slow

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Aug 7 15:39:18 EDT 2006

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> Using the grass-cvs binaries from http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html which
> according to the web page date from April 17, 2006, even the gis.m seems
> to use X. At least, there is a large X in the top left of all the
> windows. The provided .bat file (http://geni.ath.cx/grass/grass61.bat)
> starts Xwin and then launches an xterm within that Xwin session.
>
> So, how can I use the guis without X ?

1. Download the Tcl/Tk source code, and compile it. You might be able
to use the ActiveState Tcl/Tk package for gis.m, although I haven't
tried it. It's less likely that it would work with NVIZ. Cygwin's
Tcl/Tk *definitely* won't work with GRASS, due to the way it handles
filenames.

2. Download the GRASS source code, and compile it.