[GRASS-dev] WxPython prototype GRASS GUI. Version 2

Yann Chemin ychemin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 17:27:24 EDT 2006

On 08/08/06, Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu> wrote:

> > I'd like to think we can make a C code to automatically create a menu
> > description file instead of making it by hand all the time. If you
> > could separate it well from the other coding, it should make that task
> > easier when we'll come to it.
>
> Making the description file should be fairly easy. It could even be done in
> Python, using the xml output from [grass-command] --interface-description.
> The complicating factor is where to put each menu item in some kind of a
> meaningful arrangement. The latter probably needs to be human organized to
> work best. However, it could perhaps be semi-automated if we could make some
> kind of organized menu template (xml file?) by hand and an automated
> procedure could fill in the gory details.

Yes, something like this, a kind of meta-level. Think about
hydrological related modules could be self identified by the internal
description or keywords that Markus mentioned. Then you could "switch
on" this group, then all modules answering to the call could be
grouped into the same dialog and it could then be available at a
higher place (i.e. very visible) in the GUI layout.

> > Additionally, since Python GUI does not need recompiling, it should
> > then be possible to generate "flavors" of GRASS, i.e. for image
> > processing or for GIS analysis, etc on the fly by modifying menu
> > contents.
>
> Yes. But I'm betting that most people will want it all.

Yes they want it all, but they also want to find easily what they use
more commonly, i guess all can be there at all times, it is just how
the users choose the visibility of their "pet" groups of
modules/submodules/specific functions.
:-) (head-scratching ...)