[GRASS-dev] New installation for wxPython GUI

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Aug 9 14:03:48 EDT 2006

Moritz,

I'll respond to your posts in sequence so it makes a bit more sense.

See below.

Michael
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

> From: Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>
> Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 11:28:01 +0200
> To: Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>
> Cc: Yann Chemin <ychemin at gmail.com>, Trevor Wiens <twiens at interbaun.com>,
> David Finlayson <david.p.finlayson at gmail.com>, Jachym Cepicky
> <jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz>, Grass Developers List <grass-dev at grass.itc.it>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] New installation for wxPython GUI
>
> Michael,
>
> Michael Barton wrote:
>> I figured out how to run gism.py from outside the directory where it lives.
>> So now we can run it from a script on the GRASS command line without
>> changing directories.
>
> great !
>
> A few issues (using python 2.4.3 and wxpython 2.6.3.3 - installed on
> Debian from rpms using alien - so there might be some problems with that
> - I'll compile from source when I find the time):

Let me know what happens. One of my grad students compiled from source
yesterday. He still has some issues but not all that you have below.

> - the display does not automatically redraw when I drag another window
> over it. I have to click the display map button.

I have absolutely no problem along these lines. There might be a way to
force this, but it sounds like either a problematic version of a bug in the
Debian compile.

> - I still have the panning problem. What it seems to be is that the
> program does not release the mouse, so even if the mouse is outside the
> window it still continues to pan. The only solution still is to switch
> to another workspace and back. Then the map is gone, but the mouse is
> usable again.

My student had the same problem. I think I've fixed it. Try the newest
version of mapdisp.py on my website.

> - When I launch a command I get the correct command window, but any
> subsequent command launched will give me the same window (i.e.
> containing the options of the first command launched) except for the
> title which correctly indicates the name of the command launched. Seems
> like there needs to be some reinitialisation done.

This doesn't happen to me at all. I have no idea...

> - Are the add raster and add vector buttons already supposed to do
> anything else then add to the list in the layers tab ?

They just show how to make tree elements. So they are kind of stubs. We need
to make these functional next.

> - It would be great if the console could react to 'Enter', except having
> to take up the mouse again and click run.

Pressing enter DOES do the same thing as pressing the run button--at least
on my Mac. It sounds like your system is not responding properly to events.

Michael