[GRASS-dev] GRASS raster and G3d libraries

Soeren Gebbert soerengebbert at gmx.de
Thu Aug 10 18:13:02 EDT 2006

Dear Glynn,
thank you for your answer.

On Thursday 10 August 2006 23:39, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Soeren Gebbert wrote:
>
> > I'm going to do some changes at the G3d library in the next months.
> > I will rename all the lib functions to fit the GNU naming convention and
> > i will simultaneously extend the documentation.
> >
> > But while reading some old grass-dev-mails, i noticed that there are plans to
> > merge the g3d and raster library.
> > And that Glynn is currently rewriting the raster lib.
>
> Just to clear up any confusion: raster I/O is part of libgis; the
> "raster library" deals with raster graphics.

Sorry for the confusion, you are right. I meant the raster I/O part of libgis.

> I have been rewriting the latter. I have given some consideration to
> re-writing the raster I/O sections of libgis, including integrating 3D
> volumes, but haven't actually done anything concrete, and don't plan
> to in the near future.

That sounds promising. Can we create a wish list of wanted functionality? :)
like:
- a cache mode similiar to g3d
- functions for random access in cache mode
and so on ...

Maybe this can be added to the wiki roadmap?
And maybe some volunteers are willingly to help with the re-design?

> > Because i dont want to make redudant work with
> > documenting and renaming the g3d lib, i would like to ask:
> > Is there a roadmap when the "g3d/raster lib merge"
> > will be started and/or the new raster lib will be finished?
>
> Not in the foreseeable future.

Ok, thanks.

Best regards
Soeren