[GRASS-dev] New installation for wxPython GUI

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Aug 15 11:21:04 EDT 2006

See comments below.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

....lots snipped...

>> Why?
>
> compare "m.layer add rast foo" with "m.layer add d.rast foo". To a new
> user would be unintuitive to add a command inside a command and in my
> opinion, OO bad design. This complicates the interaction and serves no
> functional purpose. A set of simple to use commands if properly thought
> out would not require any change in end use if d.* commands changed or
> were eventually removed. Only the development team would need to make
> changes to the CLI GUI control commands.

Keep in mind that after a "m.layer add rast foo" you need to add the
arguments that tell m.layer how to composite and display foo. For some
layers (e.g., vectors, legends) there are a lot of arguments. Do you plan to
have new versions of these too? This is a lot of work. If the CLI could
simple recognize existing GRASS commands, it would save a lot of coding.

>>> I don't want to
>>> see GRASS dumbed down, but if I can make it easier to use with no loss of
>>> control or functionality, why not?
>>
>> Making d.* stop working is loss of functionality.

A cartographic module would be welcomed by many (though my experience with
commercial products keeps me skeptical about its real utility). To me, page
layout works better if it is wrapped in a GUI (even if you can specify
individual item properties like size, fonts, kerning, etc.). That's why most
of the world uses programs like PageMaker instead of LaTex. However, this is
a lot of work to code too.

It sounds like you are proposing more of a CLI-based cartography module
(conceptually along the lines of LaTex perhaps?). If so, why not work with
improving the existing CLI cartographic module, ps.map? Make it easier to
use so that it can be realistically be controlled interactively from the
CLI. Just a thought.