[GRASS-dev] [bug #3193] (grass) Building spatial index only for vectors once

guest user via RT grass-bugs at intevation.de
Wed Aug 16 09:35:56 EDT 2006

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3193

Request number 3193 was commented on by 'guest' (guest user).
Responding to this message will send mail to the requestor.

			Request Tracker
			rt at intevation.de

Cc: grass-dev at grass.itc.it

I think that seen the fact that we are quickly moving to new releases and then
to further development, it might be the time to take this up again in order to
plan ahead.

Reminder of the problem:
Hamish:
"Now that the spatial index is no longer built automatically but generated at
run-time as needed, it would be nice if it would save the spatial index so
that subsequent calls didn't have to regenerate it everytime."

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 10:09:32AM +0200, Harmish Bowman via RT wrote:
> what about writing the index into $MAPSET/.tmp/$HOST/ so it is cached for that
> session at least?

Markus:
"Sounds good to me... When closing the GRASS session, the file(s)
would be deleted by clean_temp then as desired.
Maybe there are problems with that?"

I don't know if space is such as problem, but for me even this seems
inefficient. Once the index is created it should stay there even when leaving
the session. Or at least there should be a configurable option (maybe a GRASS
environment variable) to leave the index files in place.

Moritz