[GRASS-dev] Code quality proposal

Soeren Gebbert soerengebbert at gmx.de
Tue Aug 22 10:26:19 EDT 2006

Dear developers,
i would like to make a proposal about the code quality of grass.

Grass is a huge project with more than 850.000 lines of code (QA report).
And in my opinion some modules have a poor code quality, because
most researchers who provided code are not programmers.
(like me, i'm not a programmer)

So i think we have to create a process to ensure good code quality befor
integrating new code into grass. Otherwise we are not able to ensure the
stability of grass in the future. (in my opinion)

I think this process should include the following steps:

1.) The code must to fulfil the coding standards written in the SUBMITTING
files (can this be checked automatically? Otherwise the devs have to check
the code by hand ... i volunteer)
2.) The code must pass the code quality assistant system without Monster and
Clone warnings
3.) The developer must provide tests for the grass test suite, so his modules
can be automatically tested by others

To ensure this, the QA system should provide a functionality to upload single
or several C files for quality checking. The created report will then be send
to the email address of the developer.

The test suite provides documenation how to us it and  how to write tests.
And i'm happy to answer any questions related to the test suite.

I'm looking forward to hear your suggestions. :)

Thank you and
best regards
Soeren